Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

“Damn, my legs are shaking.” He kept hearing this noise coming from somewhere below him. The sound got louder as he descended the stairwell. The echo in the stairwell made the noise indiscernible and he couldn’t make any words out. “…and that smell!” A red and white sign read, “7th Floor” as he crossed the

landing when he could hear something above the roaring noise. “I-is that s-someone?” Chris shuffled faster down each floor.

…”5th Floor” The sound is getting louder *cough!*


Chris started dry-heaving from the intense smell concentrated so strong in the stairwell. “My God! It’s like walking into a road kill café!” The roaring noise was now intense. He could hear a voice above the other voices. The majority of the voices were monotone. There was an individual voice; higher pitched. “I’ve got to be close-it’s so loud. 3rd Floor, okay… Whoa whoa, stupid! Are we gonna run into a mob Nurse Nutjobs?” Chris rolled his eyes at himself. “ Aww jeez. Alright, lemme look n’ see what the hell’s going on.” He grasped the handle of the stairwell door and started slowly pulling the door to his belly with his eye by the crack of the door jamb.
“Get back! Get the hell away from me! God get away! HELP! HEEELP!”
As Chris inched the door open, and the dialogue became clear. He screamed in his head, “Oh crap, oh crap, oh, hell no!” He opened the door and he didn’t see anyone. He slowly pushed the door farther and farther until it was halfway opened and he peeped his head around the door and saw what was happening:  There were about 30 people clawing at some sort of reinforced nurses’ station. The people looked sickly their clothes were soiled with dark brown spots and their skin was colored a peach-gray with cuts and lesions on their arms. There were about 15 people lying on the floor; twitching. “Why are they twitching?” There were several doors standing vertical and leaning against the counters. He could see a white guy standing above the doors thrusting half of an IV drip pole down at the people.  
Chris closed the door and sat down on the landing. “Oh my God! I gotta help that guy, I m-mean he’s in trouble. Hang on, Chris. You’re a tripod now. You can’t exactly Chuck Norris your way into helping this guy. Damn. “
Chris started panicking whether to, at least, try or not try. He flashed back to Master Yoda, “Do or do not. There is no try.”
“If I don’t help, I’m a turd. I if do help and get killed, then what? I’m dead turd. I don’t know what’s going on, but it looks like I’m a turd either way.” Chris stood up and started breathing heavy and started having a proud Karate Kid moment. He stood up; his breathing got faster and faster as he pumped himself up and reached for the door handle.
*CRASH!* Chris’ eyes shot up to the door and he heard the guy screaming, “Heeelp oh God You..ugh..” the monotone crowd of people made a unison excited grumble and then Chris heard what sounded like the gnashing sound of biting into celery. He started sobbing. “I could have saved him!” The little demon on his shoulder assured he couldn’t. And then it dawned on him.
”Abandoned hospital, psycho nurses, gray skin, funky dead skunk smell…”
“Oh no. No, no, no, no. It’s not…No. I’m not in some stupid zombie movie.”

1 comment: